Saturday, February 23, 2008

Vietnam and Thailand '08 day 6

Vietnam and Thailand '08 day 6
Walked, pottered, read and packed through the day. Collected at 7pm by Tuan as arranged for meal prepared by Quy at their home. Wow, it was even more delicious than the previous evening's restaurant meal. The spring rolls dipped in sauce were exquisite. 4 0r 5 courses with sticky white rice, all so tasty it was like being in heaven. Had to stop when I got full up again. brilliant.
Before the meal, Tuan took me to meet the neighbours the other side. Met the mother and daughter first, the latter spoke very good english so we all chatted for some time with her and Tuan translating for her mother although it is surprising how much you can make yourself understood with signs and gesticulations. The mother, a very nice and hospitable lady, poured some rice wine for me from a jar containing green plants seemingly growing in the wine. I just felt like a glass of wine, and this was very tasty but nearly blew my head off - it was like drinking neat whiskey. I enjoyed it very much once I realised how strong it was. We had some Thai tea afterwards which was very pleasant after the rice wine. The father joined us and I told him how much I admired his beautiful carved furniture, very striking and expensive hand carved hardwood, teak I believe. As I left he showed me a whole array of very impressive bonsai trees, plants and flowers displayed just outside their doorway. He must have worked over many years to produce these.
Back to Tuan and Quy's, more photos of them with Tao and Nung who were on the go all of the time but behaved impecably all evening.
Eventually driven back to hotel by Quy after a super and memorable evening.
All the Best,
John

No comments: