Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Myanmar day 5


Myanmar day 5 is a day of wildlife encounters. The day starts with a scenic drive to the base of the hard core of the Popa Mountain, on top of which sits temples, numerous Nat shrines and a showcase depicting the story of Mai Wunna, the well known flower eating ogress. On the way we stop to admire this amazing edifice from a distance. Getting back into the bus I have my first brush with the local wildlife. As I approach the back seat where I am sitting I feel something crawling on my face. I instinctively brush it off. It jumps onto the back of a seat. It is a bright green six inch long grasshopper. I catch it in cupped hands and carry it back down the gangway but it is crawling through my thumbs and escapes. I catch it again and eject it from the bus. My good deed for the day. We climb 777 steps to the top of the temple mountain, accompanied all the way by monkeys. Macaques I think. The second encounter takes place when one of then swipes my water bottle out of my hand. He sits on the wall leering at me. So I swipe it back from him. He is very angry, spitting and baring his teeth but it is too late I have my water back ha ha. The locals clap and cheer, I am a celebrity, the monkeys are always stealing stuff so they are pleased to see someone win against them. The views from the top are astounding. Now we drive to Bagan. Half way, we stop at what looks like a random covered area in the middle of nowhere. But here we see a guy climb a ladder to the top of a massive palm tree to pick coconuts, watch an ox going round and round grinding his handlers peanuts to make oil, and sit down to a snack of mashed tea plants into which we mix garlic, onion, sesame seeds, chic peas, peanuts and two kinds of beans. Very moreish. Then I spot a distillery at the back. From 3 big bottles, a clear liquid is dripping. I am offered a glass. It is like very strong but tasteless whisky. I quite like it. Also here some girls are making birds from palm leaves. I buy 3 for the grandkids. I also buy a bag each of coconut, plum and tamarin sweeties for Jo, Philip and Faye. Lunch is in a wildlife park but I only have eyes for the excellent meal we have here. Around Bagan, there are over 2,200 brick built stupas and temples, some dating from 1100AD. It is a remarkable landscape. (A stupa is a solid shrine whereas you can go inside a temple, after taking off your shoes of course) We visit a lacquer workshop, so many beautiful pieces, hand-made, carved, painted, and lacquered. After checking into the Thaxin Garden Hotel with its 'sweet welcome to fairy-land wonders', we are driven to a nearby large temple, and climb to the top for a glorious sunset. Another great day, Best Wishes to you all, John

No comments: